Commitment to Excellence
After enrolling at KIPP Philosophers Academy, the school leader, teachers, parents, and students sign a non-binding pledge called a “Commitment to Excellence.”
As a KIPPster, I commit to KIPP in the following ways:
- I will come to school on time every day.
- I will work, think, and behave in the best way I know how. I will do whatever it takes to learn.
- I will finish all of my homework every night. If I have a question, I will ask my parents for help. If I still need help, I will call my teacher.
- I will listen to my teachers and follow all directions.
- I will respect all classroom and school rules.
- I will embody the school values of Grit, Zest, Grace, Truth and Love.
- I will believe in my own and my teammates’ abilities to get to and through college, even when it’s hard.
- I will protect the safety, rights, and interests of everyone in the classroom. This means I will solve my problems with words and use good judgment and get a teacher, even if someone puts his or her hands on me.
- I know that graduating from college means a better future for me.
Without taking shortcuts, we commit to KIPP Philosophers Academy in the following ways:
- We will arrive at KIPP Philosophers Academy everyday on time.
- We will remain at KIPP Philosophers Academy throughout the instructional day.
- We will dress in a professional manner every day.
- We will always teach in the best way we know how and we will do whatever it takes for our students to learn.
- We will plan and execute rigorous lessons to prepare our students for success in high school, college, and life.
- We will provide parents opportunities to volunteer and participate in their child’s classroom.
- We will regularly provide parents with updates on their child’s progress via progress reports and report cards.
- We will make ourselves available for parent-teacher conferences in which we discuss students’ individual achievement and progress.
- We will always protect the safety, interests, and rights of all individuals in the classroom.
- We will plan and execute rigorous lessons to prepare our students for success in college and life.
- We are committed to results. We will regularly provide families with updates on their children’s progress.
- We will be available to students and parents for all concerns they may have, by phone or in person.
- We will do whatever it takes to challenge our students to reach KIPP’s academic and character expectations while protecting the safety, interests, and rights of all individuals in the classroom, at school, and on all field trips.
- We will strive to be the best teachers we can be, modeling excellence and taking no shortcuts in preparing our students for success in college and in life.
Without taking shortcuts, we commit to KIPP in the following ways:
- We understand that our child must follow the KIPP rules. We, not the school, are responsible for the behavior and actions of our child.
- We will ensure our child arrives at KIPP Philosophers Academy on time so that they may be in class ready to learn. We will also arrange for our child to remain at KIPP Philosophers Academy until school ends and we will elect into all supplemental instruction.
- We will notify the school no later than the beginning of the school day if our child will miss school. We will send a note when they return.
- We will ensure our child adheres to the KIPP Philosophers Academy dress code.
- We will contact teachers regularly to discuss our child’s progress.
- We will check our child’s agenda and sign it every day as part of our child’s homework.
- We will read and check carefully all papers our child brings home, including homework every night. When there are problems, we will ensure that our child calls a KIPP Philosophers Academy teammate or the KIPP Philosophers Academy faculty for help.
- We will commit to participating at KIPP Philosophers Academy by volunteering in a variety of ways, including attending parent teacher conferences, family workshops, and other school-related activities.